Monday, June 7, 2010

Severe Passes and Baker City

We are at a park in Baker City and the sun is shining on us, the kids are playing and everything is rosy, but about 2 days ago things were rough, giant passes, rain, a pinched nerve in my hip and long days of grinding away.  On the brighter side, Eastern Oregon is way more gorgeous than I ever dreamed it would be, mile after mile of dramatic landscape and friendly folks, the ones that aren't were comical, last night somebody drove right up next to our tent and yelled at us to wake up and ride our f-ing bikes, we thought maybe we'd slept in too late and looked at our phone, it's 6 a.m., we concluded that they must just need something to do, but we did get up and got off at about 9 a.m., good for us.  In Mitchell, we spent an extra day just because, we flipped a coin and that actually settled it, the kids played all day and we met all kinds of interesting folks there, the owner of the mercantile was a rip-roaring banjo player who taught the kids all kinds of songs about goofy looking girls and heroic boys. In the morning our friend Kaleb showed up and brought his bike to ride with us, I don't think he was expecting such a gnarly climb, but made it to the top with us, riding my bike and me riding his vintage Peugot touring bike, what a sweet, smooth ride up. Most people have been quite friendly, in Dayville we came into town at 6 or 7 at night and asked at the local store where the nearest campground was, they told us there was a church up the road has a hostel for cyclists, sure enough, a block up the road was a little white church on a hill, the Dayville Community Presbyterian Church, a sign on the door said to check in with the house next door, we met Rose there and she showed us around, they had a washer and dryer, shower, kitchen and a t.v. with all kinds of family type movies, we were stoked, I made dinner then hopped in the shower, that was fun, we set up beds on the floor and listened to the rain outside, so thankful for a dry place to stay, I hope the folks there keep on doing their thing there, they are making so many people happy, we want to thank them again.  The passes were brutal, three in a row, 7% grade for mile upon mile right outside of John Day, we felt like tenderized meat by the end of three of those suckers, and finally into Baker City, OR, where we are surprised to see looking so green, we were told by so many people that it was dry and desolate out here but on the contrary, this place looks like paradise, a man we here laughed when I told him I thought it would be wasteland out here, "that's great!" he says, "that's what we want everyone to think, they can all stay out on the coast".  We hope to head out tonight, there is some camping outside of town and we still have some stuff to grab at the store, life without salt is no life at all.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Steens! - I just met Jelena and Sam in Halfway, Or. outside the library, with baby in the cart - I didn't actually meet her. Am SO happy to have met with you - I love the long distant bikers out there, having myself done a 400 mile bike trip when I was 45 or so. I'd love to go again some day, but am not such a wanderer as I was when young. So I will vicariously travel with you as you journey on. I saw your plea for experiencial advice before you left, and saw that there were no comments. I felt bad, because I could have told you not to take so much, as you would have to leave it strewn all along the miles :-0 At any rate, we all start out with what we THINK is minimal necessities, and you just can't figure out how little one needs that are real necessities, until you get down the road, and the energy output (far?) exceeds the value of the burden. Also I would have loaded you with much eating advice, which you might not have appreciated. At any rate, now that you are veterans yourselves, You're likely to have adapted to what you want. It is such a special kind a trip you're taking, being able to take all your children- I hope the tiny ones won't resent having been too young to remember it when they get older, and have no part in all the wonderful hikes everyone else gets to take on hikes down memory lane.
    God Bless you all richly -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog, and I love it! You are so inspirational! You just made it into my bookmarks, thanks for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey I met you guys in performance bicycles in stockton CA i couldnt figure out any other way to get a hold of you guys, but if you get this, write back, im on the road east as of right now myself.
    jonlawrey@gmail.com

    Cheers and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steen Family! We are Dave & Marybeth from Missoula, MT and we just met John & Shanna (tandem bikers). They told us about your amazing journey and blog. Way to go! We have done a couple of self-supported bike tours, but nothing like what you're doing. We love to hear about a family who has the courage, conviction and audacity to set off on such a great adventure together. We will be following your progress and wish you a safe, healthy and happy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're in Council, ID right now reading these new comments we are catching up on, we've spent many days in the wilderness and finally have means to check up, so neat to hear from all you folks, Jon, we've been wondering how you've been, I am happy to hear you are on the road, Dave and Marybeth, hopefully we meet you guys soon, we'll be going through your town sometime in the near future. I love to hear from everybody, especially after difficult days like today with 30 mph headwinds, not that I don't love working my kiester off and not getting anywhere.

    ReplyDelete